Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pumpkin Spiced Wafer Trifle

Pumpkin Spiced Wafer Trifle  

-Here is another recipe pulled from my other blog. This one is so amazingly good. Ian is looking over my shoulder as I rewrite this recipe repeatedly asking, "aaaand when are you going to make this for me?"

A few weeks ago I asked my facebook friends which autumn trifle they wanted to try more...pumpkin or apple. The votes were basically split down the middle, although the pumpkin fans were much more enthusiastic about their love of ANYTHING pumpkin. I knew I definitely had to figure this one out. Personally, I have never met a dessert I didn't like, but pumpkin pie is not on the top of my list. I do, however, love everything else pumpkin. So the trouble with coming up with this trifle was trying to steer clear of the all pumpkin puree layered trifles I was seeing in the recipes online. They seemed to be trying to duplicate a pumpkin pie in a trifle dish. Just eat a pumpkin pie then!


I finally figured it out, and it was very tasty! Just the right amount of pumpkin.

Ingredients:
  • Pumpkin bread- From scratch or a box. Either way will be fine. Make or buy 2 just to be safe. So what if  you have extra. Toasted pumpkin bread for breakfast...yes please! 
  • 1 box of white chocolate pudding mix
  • 1 can of pumpkin 
  • 1 box of spiced wafers
  • Whipped cream- Homemade or cool whip (I am sticking with homemade from now on).
That's it! Now see how easy it is to make...

Bottom layer:
Bake your pumpkin bread according to the directions. I am not sure exactly what recipe I followed. There are tons online, especially Pinterest. The next time I make this, I will update with the recipe I used for the bread.
Cube the bread.
Layer the base of your trifle dish with half of the loaf. Set the rest aside for now.

Middle Layer:
Make the white chocolate pudding (vanilla will work too if you cannot find white chocolate). Allow the pudding to set for a few minutes in the refrigerator. Once the pudding has set beat in 1 can of pumpkin. Mix well with a hand mixer for at least 5 minutes. Spread half of the pumpkin mixture over the pumpkin bread in the trifle dish. 

Third/decorative layer:
Put a little less than 2 sleeves of wafers in a large ziploc bag. Seal tightly. Using the back of a wooden spoon, mash up the wafers. I broke them up into dime sized pieces. Spread half of the bag over the pumpkin mixture for your 3rd layer. Then top with whipped cream and repeat all 4 layers finishing with the rest of the whipped cream.

Top the trifle with a sprinkling of wafer crumbs!

If your family is like mine, you always have pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, but a lot of people don't actually eat the pie. Try this recipe out as an alternative and watch how fast it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment